Master of Computer Science (Pokhara University)
The Master of Computer Science provides students with a theoretical and practical knowledge in computer science by integrating a core curriculum with elective areas of study. The program is especially designed for students who are interested in pursuing careers in data analytic, software engineering etc.
The normal duration of MCS program offered by Pokhara University is twenty four month and requires sixty hours of coursework. The program offers flexible and practical curriculum, consisting an array of core and elective subjects. In the first semester students should undertake courses like, Advanced Data & File Structure, Software Engineering, Advanced Problem Solving Technique, Digital Logic and Computer Organization and Discrete Structure. Second semester includes, Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Data Communication and Computer Network, Operating System, Advanced Computer Architecture and Theory of Computation. Likewise, in third semester students should study, Computer Graphics, Artificial Intelligence, Principles of Programming Languages, Database Engineering and get opportunity to choose elective courses. Fourth semester consists of project work, Data Mining and elective courses.
Nepal College of Information Technology is the only college affiliated with Pokhara University that offers Master of Compute Science degree. It is located in Balkumari, Patan.
The educational goals of the MSC program at Pokhara University are to produce grads who will be able to:
- Exhibit an extensive knowledge of Computer Science.
- Exhibit a leadership quality or work as a team.
- Understand the need of life-long leaning and ability to adapt to the eve-changing technologies & professional environment.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Grads of the MSC program should:
- Able to Identify, analyze, define and solve the problem related to computer and technology.
- Able to function on teams to achieve common goal.
- Able to analyze and understand impact of computing on society, organizations and individuals.
- Able to use contemporary tools, techniques and expertise required for computing practice.
- Have in-depth understanding of ethical and professional responsibilities along with legal and social issues.
Admission to the MSC program is highly selective as numbers of applicant excess the number of seats available. Thus the university seeks for the convincing reasons to admit applicants. Having a strong academic background is always a plus point. Moreover, applicant should:
- Have secured at least 2.0 CGPA or minimum of 50% in the bachelor level from the universities acknowledge by Pokhara University.
- Appear and acquire good marks in the entrance text conducted by the university
- Eligible candidates should submit two passport size photographs.
- Applicants should submit attested photocopies of academic certificates.
- Applicant should submit character certificate.
Course of Study
- Discrete Structure
- Advanced Problem Solving Technique
- Object Oriented Software Engineering
- Algorithmic Mathematics
- Digital Logic and Computer Organization
- Theory of Computation
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Distributed Operating System
- Computer Graphics
- Data Communication and Computer Network
- Distributed Database System
- Principles of Programming Languages
- Artificial Intelligence
- Real-Time System
- Data Warehousing and Data Mining
Scope and Career Prospects
Array of occupations are available for the MSC graduates. Employment opportunities for this degree holder vary from IT oriented jobs to positions in organization that requires handling overall computer issues. Some of the career options for grads are:
- Network & Computer Systems Administrators
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer Support Specialists
- Computer Scientist
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Computer-Control Programmers & Operators
- Computer and Information Systems Manager