M.Sc.Interdisciplinary water resource management (Pokhara University)
The two-year, Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management degree conducted by the Pokhara University is designed to produce academically sound and highly proficient professionals with interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and capability to respond to the contemporary and evolving multi-disciplinary challenges in water resources management. The discipline provides a distinctive opportunity to learn the socio-economic, institutional, legal, environmental and biophysics aspects of water resources management. The program comprises of Basic Courses that aims to cover the core of social and natural sciences related to water, Integration Courses that combines natural and physical sciences with the social elements and Application Courses that deal with detailed knowledge and expertise required to plan, design and implement water resource management and development program. The program covers subjects, such as Hydrological Science, Society and Water: Public Health, Livelihood and Ecosystem, Role of Water in Productive Activities, Water Flow and Hydraulics, Hydrological Science, Legal and Policy Dimensions of Water Management, Conflicts in Water Management, Economics of Water Resources Management, Integrated Water Resources Management and Water Induced Disaster and Risk Management among others. Thesis is carried out in the final semester.
Nepal Engineering College (NEC) is the only academic institution affiliated with Pokhara University offering Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management in Nepal. The degree conducted by this college is partially supported by the Government of Netherland under Crossing Boundaries Project. The institute is located in Changunarayan, Bhaktapur, Bagmati.
Some of the objectives of the Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management program are mentioned below:
• To furnish students with a comprehensive understanding of the water use and its management
• To enable students to exhibit the ability to plan and execute a project in the related field
• To enable students to analyze, evaluate and solve the issues related to the water resources management
• To encourage students for life-long learning and conduct research
Students interested in pursuing the Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management program should meet the following requirements:
- Should have passed bachelor level in Science and Technology with fifteen years of education from the board or university acknowledge by Pokhara University.
- Should appear in entrance test conducted y the university
- Should face a personal interview
Selection is made on the basis of the applicant's past academic achievements and performance in entrance test and interview.
Course of Study
- Hydrological Sciences
- Water Flow and Hydraulics
- Role of Water in Productive Activities
- Society and Water: Public Health, Livelihood and Ecosystem
- EIA and GIS application in Water Resources
- Presentation, Writing and Reporting Skills
- Economics of Water Resources Management
- Gender, Water and Social Inclusion
- Conflicts in Water Management
- Legal and Policy Dimensions of Water Management
- Water Induced Disasters and Risk Management
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Field Research Methodology
- Power, Authority and History
- Elective I Climate Change, Livelihood and Adaptation
- Elective I Land Degradation and Management
- Elective I Irrigation Infrastructure Development and Management
- Elective I Groundwater Management
- Thesis Writing
Scope and Career Prospects
The Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management program graduate can work as hydrologists, supervisors or experts in different sectors, including natural counseling firms, open and mechanical waste water treatment offices, water engineering organizations and water utilities. Some may work in local water resource offices or for government organizations.
Graduate with this degree can opt to work as:
- Hydrology Engineer
- Regular Resource Manager
- Water Conservation Specialist
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.