Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (Tribhuvan University)
The world of Ayurveda is very vast and ancient. Ayurveda is the science of curing disease through the use of medicinal plants and ancient methodologies. Ayurveda is made of two words Ayu and Veda. Ayu signify life and veda signify knowledge.
BAMS which stand for Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is a five and half year course (including one year rotation ship) of Tribhuvan University conducted under Institute of Medicine. The Bachelor degree program was started in 1996 AD. The wide range of subjects is taught in the BAMS. It ranges from physiology to yoga, microbiology to biochemistry. Also, core Ayurvedic subjects like dravyaguna, rasa shastra , Charak Samhita, Sushruta Samhita etc. are also under the curriculum of BAMS. Not only this, practical subjects like radiology, pharmacology, forensic medicine, taxology etc are also taught to the students of BAMS. This course is equivalent to MBBS. After BAMS, interested students can do MD, MS, and PhD in the future. This course is based on the annual system.
The lists of colleges offering BAMS in Nepal are as follows:
- Nepal Ayurvedic Medical College, Birgunj
- Nepal Ayurveda Campus, Kirtipur
The objectives of BAMS are as follows:
- To provide students the essential knowledge and ideas of Ayurvedic science and also make students acquainted with latest practices of Ayurveda.
- To produce graduates with necessary understanding in the science of Ayurveda and having very basic knowledge in different subjects of Ayurveda with practical training.
- To produce highly professional and qualified individual who can assume the role of a effective teacher, efficient researcher and a competent Kayachikitsak and Shalyachikitsak in long run.
- To produce graduates who have and ability to contribute in uplifting the health sector of the nation through Ayurveda by understanding the moral, ethical and professional constraints.
He/ She should have passed +2 from HSEB or intermediate level from TU or broad/ Institutions/ University recognized by TU or 3 years certificate level in Ayurvedic science with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry , English, and Biology.
He/ She must compulsorily fulfill the necessary requirement for attending entrance exam.
- Students have to appear in entrance exam.
- The full mark is 100.
- Entrance exam consists of 20 marks each from Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany and Ayurvedic science.
- Students should bring at least 50% marks to pass the entrance exam.
- Students are admitted as per merit list.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Ayurveda is taking its pace very fast in today's world. The importance and significance of Ayurveda are increasing not only in Nepal and India but also in the developed world. People have started realizing the importance of yoga and other medical herbs. If the disease can be treated by medicinal herbs then there is no need to take any chemical inside the body. Ayurvedic graduates can get employment as the medical officer or doctor at government and private Ayurvedic hospitals. They can also work in the industry producing ayurvedic medicine and products. One can choose to work in private hospitals and clinics, institutes, NGOs, INGO's etc after completing BAMS. The scope of Ayurveda is also increasing worldwide and graduates can work in the foreign countries in different positions.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.