Bachelor of Public Health (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Public health is a four year program of Institute of Medicine (IOM), Tribhuvan University. It is a yearly program and examination takes place at the end of the each academic year. This course was designed with the purpose of developing specialist in public health care within the country. The course envisions that after the completion of this program the student will be able to provide leadership to the community and middle level health workers. In Nepal, there is growing concern and awareness towards the public health, people have also become more consciousness in the preventive and protective health care rather than getting treated after falling ill. In this scenario, the undergraduates in public health have greater responsibility in helping society and community to motivate towards more practical and economic health care approach.
List of colleges:
There are few colleges offering BPH program in TU. They are as follows:
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Manamohan Memorial Institute of Health Science, Nakhkhu, lalitpur
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC), Bharatpur, Kathmandu
The fee structure of studying BPH in Maharajgunj Medical College for subsidized student is Rs.314835 and the fee for full paying students is Rs.708725. The fee structure of other colleges may vary slightly. For detail information students need to contact college administration.
The objectives of Bachelor of Public Health are as follows:
- The course aims to produce undergraduates having leadership capacity within public health domain and promote the importance of public health education in community level.
- The course aims to produce successful undergraduates who have confident and skills to collaborate with the multi disciplinary teams for planning, implementing and evaluating health care program of government.
- The course aims to develop passion in students so that they can continue in lifelong learning, professional development, intellectual inquiry and research work in the field of public health education.
- The course aims to produce students capable of passing in professional licensure exam and work in accordance to the rules and regulation by understanding the societal and pubic responsibility.
He/ She must have passed Proficiency or certificate in the Health Science (General Medicine, Health Lab, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Health Education and Sanitation, Ayurveda, Ophthalmology, Nursing, etc) with minimum 50% marks in aggregate.
He/ She should have completed intermediate level or I.Sc. or 10+2 or equivalent with minimum of 50% marks in aggregate from TU or board/institution/ University
- Students should have biology, English, Physics and Chemistry as the main subjects in plus two.
- The candidate must have secured minimum 50% marks in both theory and practical in Physics, Chemistry and Biology each.
- He/ She should fulfill the entire requirement needed for appearing in entrance exam.
- He/ She should appear and pass entrance exam.
- The merit list is published after the entrance exam.
- The merit list is solely based on entrance exam.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
As already mentioned above, the mindset of people towards public health and public health professionals have drastically changed. People have become very cautious and careful in dealing with public health. Millions of rupees are being invested in the field of public health by government and other nongovernmental organization working in the field of health. This field has promising job prospects today and in future. The undergraduates can work as teachers and lectures in colleges and universities. They can also work as researcher in different public health institutions. The work sphere of public health workers are health center, hospitals, clinics, health organization, nursing homes, schools, etc. There are scores of NGO/INGO's working in the field of heath care where health professional can work in different positions such as manager, counselor, supervisor, coordinator, specialist, trainer, etc. Not only this, public health prospects is not only confined within a country but is highly regarded and appreciated internationally. Undergraduates have high chance of going abroad for further education followed by work and decent salary in the developed countries.