B.Tech. Food Technology (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelors of Technology in Food Technology is a 4 year annual degree program awarded by the Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University. Food Technology employs the principles of food science in the production, distribution and preservation of healthy, safe, and whole foods. Food Technologists use the theoretical aspect of food science into practical application for mass consumers. This course has become very popular in the past few years because of growing job market in food industry as a result of technological advancement which gave birth to health conscious people.
Academic Institutions Offering B.Tech in Food Technology
There are 9 academic institutions offering this course in Nepal. The information about them is noted below:
- Padmashree International College, Tinkune, Kathmandu
- GoldenGate International College, Old Baneshwor, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- Sunsari Technical College , Dharan, Sunsari
- Central Campus of Technology, Dharan , Sunsari
- Lalitpur Valley College, Jawalakhel, Lalitpur
- Dharan Multiple Campus, Dharan, Sunsari
- National College of Food Science and Technology, Khusibu, Kathmandu
- Birat Multiple Campus, Biratnagar, Morang
- Regional College of Science and Technology, Pokhara-9, Kaski
The fee structure varies accordingly whether it is a private institution or a government institution.
The B. Tech in Food Technology program aims to fulfill the following objectives:
- To demonstrate competency of knowledge in basic principles of food science such as study of raw materials, underlying principles of selection, processing methods, composition, packaging science and preservation techniques
- To demonstrate knowledge in practices of industrial food management and specialization processes
- To demonstrate critical and analytical thinking skills to further research in the principles' of food engineering and apply them in successful commercial way
- To develop food safety and security techniques in the commercial food production industry, minimize waste production and distribute food with utmost economic nutrient value.
- To demonstrate the ability to follow government regulations and specifications and apply industry based best practices
The eligibility requirements for the candidates seeking admission at Tribhuvan University and its constituent campuses are as follows:
- The applicant must have completed the 12(10+2) years of formal education with at least second division.
- The applicant having certificate level in food technology/laboratory technology from TU or a TU recognized institute is also eligible for application.
- The applicants must appear the entrance exam conducted by IoST, TU and pass the exam.
- The merit list of the applicants from the entrance exam will be published and they can seek admission as per the merit list at TU and its constituent campuses and affiliated private colleges.
Course of Study
- Math and Statistics
- Instrumental Techniques of Analysis
- Basic and Food Microbiology
- Basic Principles of Engineering
- Food Chemistry
- Principles of Food Processing
- Food Engineering
- Biochemistry and Human Nutrition
- Technology of Food Products- I
- Technology of Food Products- II
- Technology of Food Products- III
- Biochemical Engineering
- Industrial Microbiology
- Food Quality Control and Analysis
- Storage and Packaging Technology
- Operation Research and Food Plant Management
- Dairy Technology
- In-plant Training and Class Seminar
Scope and Career Prospects
Food Technology graduates have a high demand in the market now because of the skills shortage. The graduates have immediate employment prospects in the varied field of food industry. The graduates can choose to pursue careers in both private and public sectors. Food technologists can also secure employment in NGO/INGOs working in the field of food, nutrition and dietetics. They can works as:
- Food quality manager
- Production manager
- Product advisor
- Research and Development Scientist
- Food inspector
- Process engineers
- Quality controller
- Food innovation manager
- Packaging and product development
- Commercial technologist
The starting salary of graduates in B. Tech Food Technology is NRs.10000 and up to NRs. 35000.
Organizations employing food technologists
- Department of Food Technology and Quality Control (DFTQC) under Ministry of Agricultural Development
- Food and Nutrition Awareness Center Nepal (FONAC)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Sagun Foods
- Sunrise Nepal Food and Beverages Pvt Ltd.
- The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Nepal
- Chaudhary Group
- Golchha Organization and many more
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.