M.Sc.(Master of Science) in Mathematics (Tribhuvan University)
Mathematics is the foundation of this universe. Mathematics has been established as a universal ingredient in the understanding of the world, and is the language used in conveying this understanding. Now that we have entered the twenty-first century, higher mathematics is not just a tool for physical scientists and engineers, but it is also of crucial importance in business, economics, and even the social sciences. Many mathematicians still delight in the aesthetic appeal of their subject; however, it is ultimately the application of mathematics that makes it a critical element in modern civilization.
The time span for masters in mathematics is 2 years. The total marks allotted to 1st year in Part I and 2nd year in Part II is 500 each. Department has introduced thesis writing for 2nd year students as an optional subject from academic year 064/065 (007/008) and sixteen students with thesis work have completed their degree. Around 200 students are admitted in the first year (part 1) every year. Currently the department has more than 300 students including both parts. Seminars and conferences in Mathematics are regular feature of the department.
Institutions offering MSc in Mathematics:
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus-Bagar, Pokhara, Kaski | Public
- Central Department of Mathematics Tribhuvan University-Kirtipur, Kathmandu | Public
- Siddhanath Science Campus-Mahendranagar, Kanchanpur | Public
The objectives of TU Central department of mathematics abide by their promise to fulfill the following objectives:
- To produce highly qualified graduates with degree in mathematics who can benefit the society with their critical thinking and analytical brain.
- To encourage participating in research at doctoral and post-doctoral level.
- To make pathway for not just theoretical mathematics but also in applied field of mathematics.
- To develop problem solving skills using different technologies and transfer that skill to related fields as well.
- To make changes in our mathematics curriculum according to improving standard of national as well as international society.
For each 100 marks subject the department conducts external assessment equal to 80 marks and internal assessment equal to 20 marks. To pass the subject the students must acquire minimum marks of 32(out of 80) in external board assessment and an 8(out of 20) in the external assessment. The internal mark is determined by your professor on the metric of completed assignments, tests, attendance, class performance and participation. For the external exam you have to appear exams and solve the given question set. The total number of questions in a set is 10 and you can choose to solve 4 of them from “or” part. But the examinee must attempt to solve all the questions including the subjective ones which include implying theorems, proving statements from a conceptualized viewpoint. This evaluation method is not made use in thesis writing.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Though not a very popular degree in Nepal, we can’t argue that mathematics lack scope. Some of them are listed below which will help you:
- Computer programming
- Stocks prediction
- Market prediction analysis
- Climate scientist
- Data scientist
- Military analysts
Above mentioned are only a couple of scopes for mathematics graduate. You can pursue any other number of related fields that require knowledge of mathematics combined with inter- disciplinary principles.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.