M.Sc. Environmental Science (Tribhuvan University)
In today’s world, issues of environment like change in environment, pollution of environment, conservation of environment etc, has become one of the most debated and controversial matter and Nepal is no exception. Environmental issues are also one of the major concerns for country like Nepal. Nepal's natural resources like river, lakes, herbs, shrubs, air, land, jungles, etc are directly affected by the change in environment. Due to poorly managed drainage and sewage system the rivers and land have become much polluted affecting the habitat nearby. We can observe the condition of Bagmati River, how pathetic it is. So, there is extreme need of imparting knowledge and awareness of environment to the general people. The need of environment was felt when the world celebrated the Earth Day in 1970 with the support of the United Nation.
Master of Science in Environment is a two year 4 semester program of Tribhuvan University consisting of 64 credit hours. In first semester there are compulsory courses and all the students have to study same subject matter. However, students can choose any one of the four elective courses in second semester. In third semester, there are two categories of elective courses; students need to choose any one from each group. Fourth semester is research oriented where along with thesis dissertation ideas to use some technical instrument is also imparted to students.
The main objectives of Environmental Science are as follows:
- Produce highly professional graduates with the strong foundation and in depth knowledge of environment science and its application so that they can handle important positions in the industry, government and non government organization and academia as a skilled manpower.
- Prepare graduates in such a way that they can work as effective communicator or collaborator in multi disciplinary teams and show leadership skills by engaging in the challenging environmental problems of local, national and international level.
- Implant the virtue of ethics, integrity and social responsibility in the graduates and be ready to use their knowledge for the cause of national benefit.
- Inspire and motivate students in the lifelong pursuit of continuous learning and professional development in the field of environmental science.
In order to gain admission to M.Sc. in Environmental Science program of Central Department of Environment Science (CDES):
- A candidate must appear in and successfully pass the entrance examination conducted by Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University (IOST-TU).
- The admission is strictly merit based.
- A merit list is based on 80% marks of entrance and 20% marks of B.Sc.
- An applicant should have completed B.Sc.in Environmental Science or equivalent degree from TU with same major subjects or university recognized by Tribhuvan University with at least second division in aggregate.
- The application of the candidates having degrees other than B.Sc. in Environmental Science can be accepted as per the decision of Faculty Board of IOST-TU.
- The candidates should fulfill all the criteria mentioned in the M.Sc. entrance exam notice of TU.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The M.Sc. graduates can have ample opportunities to work in government and private sector. They can get jobs in the departments related to pollution control, drinking water, urban planning. Several private organizations working in the field of refineries, distilleries, food processing, fertilizers, etc hire large number of M.Sc. graduates. Many organizations working in the field of environment are recruiting environment science graduates as environment specialists, managers, and consultant. They can also work as environmentalist journals in the different newspaper, journals, TV, etc. Not only this, there are several departments of government which is working in the field of environment where you can work in different executive positions, as a research specialist, research fellow, research assistant etc. The graduates can also perform teaching and academic work in colleges and universities.
The scope of environment science is equally vibrant in foreign countries as well. Every year large number of students get chance to enroll in reputed universities abroad for further study. So the career prospects of environment science graduates are very bright and will become more lucrative in days to come.