M.Sc. Microbiology (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Science in Microbiology (M. Sc Microbiology) is a four semester (2 year) program of Tribhuvan University. The M. Sc. Microbiology program commenced in Nepal after Central Department of Microbiology, TU started in 1990. The course structure of the program was revised several times and the course was designed as per semester system in 2013. In the first semester all the students have to study same subjects. However, from second semester the discipline is divided into Medical Microbiology, Public Health Microbiology, Food Microbiology and Agricultural Microbiology along with their practical courses. In third semester students are given comprehensive knowledge of their specialized subjects. In fourth semester, the course is tilted towards research. The ‘graduates in line’ will have an opportunity to gain knowledge of seminar or journal club, have to submit thesis dissertation, have to undertake internship based on specialization etc. All this practical approach will give students opportunity to correlate the theoretical course with real life experience.
Some of the top colleges offering M. Sc. Microbiology in TU are as follows:
- GoldenGate International College, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus,Kathmandu
- Sunsari Technical College, Dharan, Sunsari
- Central Campus of Technology, Hattisar, dharan
- Central Department of Microbiology Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur
- National College, Khusibu, Kathmandu
- Regional College of Science and Technology, Pokhara, kaski
- Shi-Gan International College of Science & Technology, Narayan Gopal Chowk
- St. Xaviers College, Maitighar, Kathmandu
- Kantipur College of Medical Science (KCMS), Sitapaila, Kathmandu
The objectives of Master level Microbiology are as follows:
- To produce highly qualified microbiologists, molecular biologists, researchers and scientists to meet the national and international demand.
- To produce graduates who have ability in using skills of modern molecular biology techniques in basic or in applied research areas of Microbiology.
- To produce highly qualified graduates having ability to work as a microbiologist and research scientist for investigating the potential uses of microorganisms to produce antibiotics and many other products of microbial origin.
- To produce qualified graduates who can work as laboratory technician to monitor, identify and help in controlling infectious diseases and also produce qualified researchers and scientists who can work in sectors associated to food production, crop protection and soil fertility etc.
- The candidates must have Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology from TU or equivalent degree from university recognized by TU.
- The applicant himself should appear in the entrance examination conducted by the Central Department of Microbiology and should successfully pass the exam.
- The enrollment is made on the basis of merit list which is made by adding 80% marks of entrance exam and 20% marks of B.Sc.
- No admission without minimum qualifying pass marks set by CPD of Microbiology.
- 80% seat is for free competition and 20% for inclusive in TU and its constituent colleges.
- Entrance exam lasts for 2 hours and for further detail about entrance one should visit CPD of microbiology.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Microbiology is one of the most demanding subjects in the science stream. People might be familiar with only some typical jobs of microbiology but the horizon and prospects of microbiology is very huge and is expanding every single day. Microbiology is not just a single subject, it is the union of multiple specializations and graduates can get wide range of jobs from Pharmaceuticals to cosmetics. Graduates can also make significant contribution in the field of biotechnology. The M.Sc. degree holder can choose to teach and involve in research works in Medical, Dental, Veterinary school. They can also work in institutions related to food production, crop protection and soil fertility. Graduates can also work in laboratory conducting scores of tests and experiments. They can also work as researcher researching in structure, function, ecology, biotechnology, and genetics of micro-organisms, human, animal, plant tissues, cells, etc. Not only this, M.Sc. Microbiology students after completion of degree have high chances of going abroad because demand of microbiologists is very high in international market.