BE in Electrical Engineering (Tribhuvan University)
Tribhuvan University provides an undergraduate degree in the field of electrical engineering, termed as Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (B.E.L). It is a 4 years degree provided to the students who desires to graduate in the area of electrical engineering.
The department of electrical engineering comprises of some other divisions as well. Students have their own preference to join a particular division and continue with the same. Some students' focuses on the study of electronic components while others prefer to study transmission and exertion of electrical power. This program also allows students to have the knowledge of the application of these compounds in the areas of non-engineering as well such as medicine, ecology, biology and geology.
List of colleges:
List of college offering BE electrical program in TU are as follows:
- Khwopa College of Engineering, Bhaktapur
- Kathmandu Engineering College, Kalimati, Kathmandu
- National College of Engineering , Talchikhel, Kathmandu
- Advanced College Of Engineering & Management, Kupondole, Kathmandu
- IOE campus, Lalitpur
- Thapathali Engineering Campus, Kathmandu
- Eastern Regional Campus, Dharan
- Western Regional Campus, Pokhara
The fee structure varies from each and every college. The private colleges (affiliated) have not kept the fee structure in their websites but we can assume that cost of reading Electrical Engineering lies between Rs.7 to 12 lakhs. The cost of pursuing the program in IOE and constituent colleges like Thapathali, Eastern Regional College is lower compared to that of the private colleges. For detail information, one can contact the college concerned.
The objectives of BE in Electrical Engineering are:
- To make students successful in understanding, formulating, analyzing and solving wide range of electrical engineering problems.
- To make students successful in designing varieties of products, systems or experiments related to electrical engineering.
- To make students capable of pursuing successful careers or further study and assume leadership and entrepreneurial positions in the long run.
- To make students capable of functioning and communicating both individually or/and as a team and understand the importance of ethics and professional accountability.
- Furthermore, student holding I. Sc. (Physical Group), I. Sc. (Biological Group) with extra Math, Diploma in Engineering, 10+2 in Science (Physical group) and 10+2 in Science (Biological group) with extra Math and scoring at least 50% in the respective examinations are eligible to apply for the entrance tests.
- Should compulsorily fulfill the entire application form requirement for entrance exam.
- This above requirement is for the Nepali students. Hence, there are other provisions for foreigners.
Students willing to join this program must pass an entrance test conducted by Institute of Engineering (IOE). It conducts test in different subjects such as Math, Physics, Chemistry and English. Students desiring to join this program which is affiliated to TU must pass these tests. Students are only selected according to their merit list in these tests.
In the entrance exam, 40 marks from Physics and Mathematics each, Chemistry, English and Engineering Aptitude consists of 20, 22 and 18 marks respectively. The total question: 100, total mark: 140 and time allocated: 2 hours in full computerized system. Students need to click in correct option out of 4 options with the help of mouse cursor. The each wrong answer: deduction of 10% marks in each question. The result is published as per the merit list and the merit list is made only according to the marks obtained in entrance exam.
List of institutes providing entrance preparation classes for Engineering Entrance Exam are as follows:
- PEA Association Pvt. Ltd., Thapathali, Kathmandu
- NAEE Education Centre, Patan Dhoka, Lalitpur
- KEI Foundation, Kupondole, Lalitpur
- Kanchanjanga Education Institute (KEI), Kupondole, Lalitpur
Course of Study
- Engineering Mathematics I
- Computer Programming
- Engineering Drawing I
- Engineering Physics
- Applied Mechanics
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics II
- Engineering Drawing II
- Basic Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Chemistry
- Fundamental of Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
- Workshop Technology
- Engineering Mathematics III
- Computer Programming II
- Electric Circuit II
- Devices Logic
- Circuits Mechanics & Properties of Solid
- Applied Mathematics
- Electronics Circuits I
- Instrumentation I
- Electrical Machines I
- Numerical Methods
- Communication II (English)
- Electrical Machines II
- Fundamentals of Thermodynamics& Heat
- Power System Analysis
- Control System
- Engineering Economics
- Probability and Statistics
- Power System Control & Prot
- Digital Control System
- Industrial Electrification
- Power Plant Design
- Project Engineering
- Organization & Managemen
- Power Plant Equipments
- Power Electronics
- Electric Drives
- Safety Engineering
- Elective I
- Engineering Profession & Practice
- Technology Environment & Society
- Instrumentation II
- Transmission & Distribution
- High Voltage Engineering
- Elective II
Scope and Career Prospects
Nowadays, we all are surrounded by the electrical devices. We have been so used to all those devices, that it is very difficult for us to survive a day without them. But, have we ever wondered how all those devices work and who the one behind them? Well the obvious answer will be a 'NO'. Behind all those devices are the electrical engineers who are responsible for everything, from building them to maintain them. Electrical Engineers work with everything which is around us from switch boards to computers.
An engineer holding a degree in Electrical Engineering can apply for jobs in various sectors. Some of the sectors are automotive, aerospace, energy, IT and telecommunications. Electrical engineers are highly employable and can get involved with different organizations too.