B.Sc. Geology (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Science in Geology (B.Sc in Geology) is an undergraduate program offered by Tribhuvan University (TU), under the management of Institute of Science and Technology (IoST). It is a four year annual degree program total that includes theory, laboratory practical, field work and thesis writing. The duration of this degree program was changed from 3 years to 4 years from the year 2069 BS (2012 A.D) to provide international standard of education to students at a reasonable price in Nepal.
This undergraduate bachelor degree program deals with the study of physical and chemical nature, structure and geological process of earth with comprehensive understanding of earth surface processes, earth materials, tectonics, rock forming processes and paleontology including petroleum geology, volcanologist, structural geology, hydrology, sedimentary geology and climate change. This is a rigorous program for students who are excitedly interested and passionate to study about earth, its formation, natural resources and environmental hazards.
Colleges offering B.Sc in Geology under Tribhuvan University
- Birendra Multiple Campus (BMC) Bharatpur, Chitwan Nepal, Email: email@example.com, Website: www.bmc.edu.np
- Tri-Chandra College Ghantaghar, Durbarmarg Kathmandu, Nepal, Phone: 01-4225743 P.O.Box No.: 44605
- Central Campus of Technology Hattisar, Dharan Koshi, Nepal, Phone No.: +977-25-520228, 526530, 520226, Website: http://www.cctdharan.com/
- To prepare students to pursue higher studies like Masters’ level program in Geology or other related field.
- To empower, encourage and develop skilled, intellectual and passionate geologists to work as Researcher in Geological laboratories, companies and industries for the study related to earth, evolution, landform and related subjects.
- To prepare successful graduates who can apply their techniques and knowledge within the field of geology for the solution of applied research or geological problems.
- To prepare students for practical workforce as geoscientists, geochemists, meteorologist and prepare them to work professionally and successfully.
- To provide skill and ability to the students to recognize, formulate and interpret the scientific methodology and critical thinking skills in geological or related field.
- To develop excellent research and communication skills to prepare students to work and conduct research on petroleum and oil sectors for its generation and improve the economy of the nation.
- To prepare skilled human resources to work as Hydrologist for the development of hydropower sector and as Sedimentologist for soil checking during the construction of buildings
Eligibility for Admission
Students must have completed their 10+2 (Higher Secondary Education Board), or I.Sc from Physical or Biological group in Science with extra Mathematics or equivalent, with a minimum of 50% in aggregate or at least grade C in three subjects in the Advance Level from any Board/University recognized by TU.
- The application form can be directly collected from the reception of the affiliated College/Campus or can be downloaded on the dates prescribed from the affiliated College/Campus websites for the admission process. ? The filled in application form, along with the photocopy of the mark sheets and stated cash amount or payable deposit slip in name or account of the affiliated College/Campus should be submitted before the due date
- The applicants must appear in the entrance exam conducted by Institute of Science and Technology, TU and pass the exam.
- The merit list of the applicants from the entrance exam will be published and they can seek admission as per the merit list at TU and its affiliated campuses/colleges.
- The following documents should be submitted during the admission
- Copy of a Character Certificate
- Copy of a School Leaving Certificate (SLC) or equivalent mark sheet
- Copy of a 10+2 (HSEB) or equivalent transcript
- Migration Certificate
- One color stamp size photographs for the College ID Card and two color passport size photographs for the College Records
- Copy of a Citizenship Certificate or Passport (For Foreign Students only)
Commencement of Course: Kartik/Mangsir each year
Note: Students who have passed their grade 11 board exam and waiting for the result of grade 12 can also fill the application form and appear in the entrance examination. Applicants should submit their mark sheet of +2 exam before the results of the entrance examination come out or during the admission process.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
- Petroleum, oil and environmental industries/companies
- Research Centers or work as an Independent Researchers
- Mineral industries as Mineral Surveyor
- Seismological Center as Seismic Interpreter
- Geoscientist/ Geochemist/ Geophysical Data Processor
- Environmental Consultant/Geologist
- Paleontologist/ Meteorologist
- Groundwater Industry/ Hydrologist
- Civil Engineering and Construction Company