B.Sc. Medical Imaging Technology (Tribhuvan University)
B.Sc. MIT which is known as Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Technology is a four year program of Institute of medicine (IOM), Tribhuvan University. The B.Sc. MIT course is designed with the vision of providing technological knowledge of using various medical equipments mainly focusing on anatomy and physiology. Not only this, course envisions to provide skills, techniques and knowledge to grow as a competent manager, equipments handlers, and care provider in the field of radiology. This degree is accepted by Nepal Health professional Council.
In Medical Imaging, visual depiction of the inner body parts is generated for medical analysis or for any other medical purpose. Imaging technology such as X-ray, Ultrasound, MRI, etc. is used for creating medical imaging.
List of colleges:
The lists of college offering B.Sc. MIT are as follows:
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC), Bharatpur, Chitwan
The fee structure of B.Sc. MIT for subsidized students is Rs. 2,29,400 and for full paying students are 6,01,030. The fee structure is for Nepalese student.
The course aims at fulfilling the following major objectives:
- To help students in knowing the general anatomy and physiology of the human body so that the graduates can successfully read the body parts on the radiograph.
- To teach students the general physiology of the body and how pathogens modifies it causing disease.
- To pass on students the knowledge of using both conventional radiography techniques and modern imaging techniques.
- To teach students certain alternative procedure that is not routinely executed but might be some emergency or complicated cases.
- To train students in generating information about the health of patients essential for preventing, diagnosing and treating disease.
- The interested candidates who have passed proficiency certificate level with at least 50% marks in general science stream (I.Sc or plus two) from TU or University/ Board/ Institution accepted by TU with Biology and other major subjects.
- Proficiency certificate level (PCL) in health science (Radiography) is eligible in appearing in entrance exam of Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Technology (B.Sc. MIT).
- Since TU do not run proficiency level, so most of the students are under HSEB science faculty.
- Total marks: 100; Pass marks: 50 (50%); Total Time: 2 hours
- Zoology: 15; Botany: 10; Chemistry: 15, Physics: 10;General Health: 25; Specific Subjects: 25
- Objective multiple type questions. Out of four options, right option should be ticked.
- Each question is of 1 mark.
- No negative marking.
- Merit list is published after entrance exam.
- Merit list is purely based on entrance exam result.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The under graduates in medical imaging techniques have very encouraging career prospects. They can work as Radiographers, Radiologic Technologists, MRI specialist, endoscopy specialist, elastography specialist, Nuclear Medicine Technologist, X-ray Technicians, and Ultrasound Technicians etc. The undergraduates can work in hospitals, clinics, nursing home, medical laboratories, different health care organizations, health insurance sectors, research institutes, NGO/ INGO’s etc. Not only this, the bachelor graduates can work as medical advisor, managers, teachers, supervisor, etc. They can also go abroad for foreign studies and can have decent career then afterwards. The healthcare sector becomes incomplete without the medical imaging. So, the graduates who are pursuing this subject should be very optimistic about their future.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.