M.A. Journalism and Mass Communication (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Arts in journalism and mass communication is a two year program under the humanities and social science faculty of Tribhuvan University. It is the program based on yearly system. This course is not taught in the Central Campus, Kirtipur. The curriculum of mass communication and journalism is multi disciplinary which ranges from theories and practice to media and advertisement management. The main aim of this course is to produce efficient and captivating personality in the field of journalism and mass communication who holds the determination to use the power of media for righteous work. In this world where right to freedom and transparency has become one of the fundamental rights of the individual, the media and press have vital role to play in making people well aware about the current situation of the country and the world.
List of colleges:
Some of the colleges offering MA communication and journalism in TU are as follows:
- Ratna Rajya Laxmi Campus, Pradarsahani Marga, Kathmandu
- Madan Bhandari Memorial College, Binayaknagar, Kathmandu
The fee structure of studying MA mass communication and journalism can be known from the respective colleges.
The main objectives of Mass communication and journalism are as follows:
- The course aims to produce professional having ability to take up leadership and managerial role and endow services in the field of communication and journalism.
- The course aims to produce graduates having efficiency to think critically, assemble and present information and successfully find and solve the communication and journalism related problems by going to the bottom of it.
- The course aims to produce graduates having techniques and skills to independently incorporate, investigate and evaluate data and information.
- The course aims to make student understand and realize the power and importance of media in changing society and using its power under the surveillance of morals and ethics.
- The students willing to pursue MA Communication and Journalism in TU must have Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism or equivalent degree from TU or university recognized by TU.
- The student from science, commerce or any other stream can also pursue the MA mass communication and journalism if he has bachelor degree from TU or university recognized by TU provided that candidates should fulfill all the necessary requirements as directed by Mass communication and Journalism department.
- In order to get enrolled in MA mass communication and journalism, the students should appear in entrance exam.
- The merit list is published after the entrance exam
- The students are enrolled as per their ranking in merit list.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Mass communication and journalism is the mirror of the society and has very significant role in changing the perception and thinking of the people. It has vital role in bringing radical changes: role of media in people's movements is the example of it. Above sentences are itself the example of how demanding journalism and mass communication is. The graduates can get jobs in TV, radio, newspaper, social media, etc. One can also work in the field of advertisement, media campaigning, editing, etc. The graduates can also work as anchor, reporter, writer, editor, counselor, freelancer, communication officer, media officer, etc. The graduates can also build career in NGO/INGO's working in the field of media and mass communication. Big corporate house and business institutions hire media manager to communicate with people and share information. One can be a global star by running a famous program in the TV and radios. Moreover, graduates have good opportunity to go abroad after MA in mass communication and journalism.