The history of Ayurveda dates back to civilization in the Indian subcontinent context. It is one such medicinal practice which is developed in ancient times and practiced in the modern era.
Even though Ayurveda is considered pseudoscientific it is still relevant. There are even institutes providing Ayurvedic teaching. It even gained tremendous popularity across the world amidst the pandemic.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery or simply BAMS course is an undergraduate program in the field of alternative medicine. It is created in such a way that it familiarises students with the integrated principles of Modern Medical Science and Traditional Medicines.
Those individuals who are interested in natural and ancient system medicine can pursue the BAMS course.
Nepal is embedded deep into Hindu traditions and beliefs. Because of this, the nation has played a significant role in the preservation, practice and development of Ayurveda. Since Nepal is home to various medicinal and herbal plants it is the perfect place for Ayurvedic practitioners.
According to history, Rajakiya Ayurveda Vidhyalaya was the first in the country to begin technical education in 1993 BS.
The Government of Nepal founded the National Academy of Ayurveda in 1952 intending to offer advanced education and training in the subject.
Ayurveda Campus was later formed by the merging of the Government of Nepal’s Ayurved Vidyalaya and Chikitsalaya with the Institute of Medicine in 1972 AD.
The ayurvedic education has ever since developed in Nepal. The Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery was introduced. Currently, 2 universities provide this course, they are:
BAMS course in Nepal is an undergraduate degree of five and a half years. The program is divided into 3 professional courses, each of 18 months. It is followed by a year of required internship.
Currently, there are only 2 universities that have BMS courses. The available seats are also comparatively low. Let us look at the table below to see about the total available seats and number of colleges.
No. of Seats
No. of Colleges
The BMS course syllabus is designed to produce skilled individuals in the field of Ayurveda. Students learn about the Ayurvedic principles, treatments, teachings, and holistic approaches towards healthcare.
The curriculum covers the history of Ayurved, its principles and techniques. Students are provided with valuable knowledge of the ancient text. They will also learn about the modern sciences with integration into Ayurveda.
Let us look into some topics that the course covers during its span.
After graduating with the course students will gain comprehensive theoretical knowledge as well as hands-on experience through lab work and projects and a compulsory internship. They will be capable individuals in the field of Ayurveda ready to pursue their careers.
|Nepal Sanskrit University
The primary objective of the BASM course is to educate individuals about different Ayurvedic principles and practices. It provides them with the history and the modern practices which will increase the subject’s insight among students.
The primary purpose of the BAMS course is as follows:
With the popularity of Ayurveda in the modern era, the scope of Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is expanding. Various Ayurveda hospitals and institutes are operating in the nation where students can seek their careers.
The scopes of the BAMS course are as follows:
Students should meet the following criteria to be eligible to study the BAMS course:
The universities providing the BAMS course open an application for the program. The students however have to attend the entrance examination to be able to study the program. The notice regarding the admission test is posted on the official website.
Some key details about the entrance examination
If you pass the admission test and are about to be admitted to your preferred college, the following documents might be required.
Ayurveda is a subject of the medical field. Studying it might be expensive when compared with other courses. The BAMS course fees in Nepal depends upon the university.
However, the BAMS course fees in Nepal is between NPR 10,50,000 to 12,00,000.
Among the total scholarship seats for the BAMS course, 55% is separated for general while the remaining 45% is for the reservation. The reservation seats are further divided into different groups according to the student’s background.
Please note that students must have studied in Governmental school from class 6 to 10 to apply for the quota scholarships.