Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery, BHMS course, provided in many regions where homeopathy is taken as a legitimate system of medicine. In today's world, it has become the most popular form of complementary and alternative medicine despite being pseudoscientific.
In 1796, a German physician, Samuel Hahnemann established the concept of homeopathy. It is based on the principle that any object that causes symptoms of an illness can cure similar prodromes in sick people. It is effective through some studies while some have rejected it.
The homeopathic medicine system has been the subject of debate across the globe. However, it gained popularity in later centuries among those who believe in the holistic approach to healing an illness.
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery, BHMS course is designed to provide students with the ideas and ways of homeopathy use. This program is notable in most of the South Asian countries but its origin is Germany as well.
The history of homeopathy and its education is not very old in Nepal. It can be said that it officially started with the establishment of Pashupati Homeopathic Hospital in 1953.
With the initiation of Mr. Tarun Sancheti, Nepal Homeopathic Medical College was established in Biratnagar. They have been providing homeopathic education ever since. They provide a BHMS course which was recognized as an equivalent degree to MBBS in 1998 A.D.
Nepal Homeopathic Medical College is the only educational institute that provides BHMS courses in Nepal. It is affiliated to Purbanchal University.
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery or simply BHMS course is an undergraduate degree in the medical field of homeopathy. The total duration of the degree is five and a half years. It includes 4 and a half years of theoretical education and a year of compulsory internship.
As mentioned above in the article Nepal Homeopathic Medical College is the only college providing the BHMS course in affiliation with PU. However, there are other various institutions providing diplomas in homeopathy medicine.
BHMS course structure focuses on providing students with the philosophy and the principles of homeopathic medicine. In the syllabus, we can see that the traditional ways are integrated with modern science for a more comprehensive approach to methods to treat diseases.
Throughout the 4 and a half year educational session, students learn about different aspects of homeopathic ways of medicine and surgery. Here are some of the areas that the BHMS course covers:
After graduating from the BHMS course students will be equipped with all the knowledge required to pursue their career in the field of homeopathy. They will also gain in hand experience through the compulsory internship which is included in the syllabus.
The primary purpose of the BHMS course is to produce individuals both capable and skilled in the field of homeopathy. But, there are other objectives that the degree covers. They are:
The career and scope of the BHMS course mostly revolve around in the field of homeopathy. They can work as homeopathic doctors in different hospitals which is the best career option for freshly graduated students.
Here are some career options for the BHMS course scholars:
Besides this, students after graduating from the BHMS course can continue their education to receive the master’s degree in the field of homeopathy.
Students should meet the following criteria to be eligible to study the BHMS course:
Students who are interested in pursuing BHMS courses at their undergraduate level of education should appear in the entrance examination conducted by PU. They can find the form on the official website of the university or they can visit the respective administration as well.
The students should fill up the form with the correct information and submit it. They have to pay the fee for the exam through the medium recognized by the university. The applicants should clear the exam with the threshold score to be eligible to study the BHMS course.
Below listed are some of the details for the BHMS admission test appearing students
If you pass the entrance exam and are eligible to be admitted, you might need to submit the following paperwork to the administration for admission procedure,
The BHMS course is not as expensive as MBBS. However, it might be on the higher end considering it is a medical field of study. We advise students to contact the concerned administration to find out the exact fee structure for the degree. They can also visit the university’s website for information.
There is the provision of scholarships for BHMS courses. Among the total scholarship seats, 55% is allocated in the general category while the remaining 45% is provided as per the quota system.