B.Sc. Medical Microbiology | Pokhara University
Bachelor of Science (B.SC) in Medical Microbiologyis a four year course degree of Pokhara University (PU), under the Faculty of Science & Technology. It is a specialization oriented bachelor degree in biomedical science spreading over 8 semesters, designed to produce the graduates who can work in the field of health care, disease prevention, diagnose and control . It is a scientific study that includes looking at bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites which are of medical importance and are connected with disease and illness and for the cure of various diseases.
B.Sc. in Medical Microbiology is basically the mixture of subjects like Systemic and Diagnostic Bacteriology, Parasitology, Virology, Mycology, Epidemiology, Microbiology and Immunology, dealing with special topics like research, laboratory diagnostic and management of these subjects.
This degree enables students with strong theoretical knowledge and practical skills in biomedical science & health care, preparing them to pursue their careers as researcher, microbiologist and pharmacologist in Hospitals, Medical Colleges, Pharmaceuticals Industries, Biotechnological Industries and Food Industries of governmental, public or private sector. This is one of the best subject to study if you have an utmost interest in the field of biology, medicines & research.
List of B.Sc. Medical Microbiology Colleges
Below is the list of colleges for B.Sc. Medical Microbiology program under Pokhara University in Nepal.
Objectives of B.Sc. Medical Microbiology
The main objectives of this program are:
To provide student with theoretical & scientific knowledge and understanding to work from community level to the central level health care programs to provide better quality of life to the people and promote health and wellness.
To prepare the students for higher level of study like Master's degree or related in and outside the country.
To prepare the students to work in the field of medical microbiology for disease causes, control, prevention and research of cure of diseases by studying living cells and microorganisms.
To train students to work in a team of professionals by participating them in special seminars and also prepare them to be independent and skilled.
To produce the human resource with different research methodology knowledge & skills and make them able to start basic and applied research independently.
To prepare students to work as quality controller at quality controller at food industries, researchers at labs, vaccine developer, and related field.
Admission Requirements in B.Sc. Medical Microbiology
Eligibility for Admission:
The candidates willing to join B.Sc in Medical Microbiology must follow certain criteria:
Students must have completed their 10+2 (Higher Secondary Education Board), or I. SC from Physical or Biological group in Science with a minimum of 50% in aggregate or at least grade C in three subjects in the Advance Level from any Board/ University recognized by PU.
The application form can be directly collected from the reception or can be downloaded on the dates prescribed from the affiliated College websites for the admission process.
The filled in application form, along with the photocopy of the mark sheets and stated cash amount or payable deposit slip in name or account of the affiliated College should be submitted before the due date.
The applicants must appear in the entrance exam conducted by the affiliated college and pass the exam compulsory.
The merit list of the applicants is published after the entrance examination.
Commencement of Course:
September each year Note: Students who have passed their grade 11 board exam and waiting for the result of grade 12 can also fill the application form and appear in the entrance examination. Applicants should submit their mark sheet of +2 exams before the result of the entrance examination come out or during the admission process.
B.Sc. Medical Microbiology Syllabus
General Microbiology I
General Microbiology I
General Microbiology II
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Molecular Biology I
Instrumentation and Biomedical Engineering
Human Anatomy and Physiology II
Molecular Biology II
Systemic Bacteriology I
Systemic Bacteriology II
Systemic MycologyPublic Health Microbiology I
Public Health Microbiology II
Diagnostic Bacteriology I
Diagnostic Bacteriology II
Bio-statistics and Data Management
Management of Microbiology Laboratory
- ENG 101.3: Professional English
- MBO 102.3: Medical Botany
- MEN 103.3: Medical Entomology
- FCH 104.3: Fundamental Chemistry
- GMB 105.3: General Microbiology I
- LAB 1.1: Medical Botany
- LAB 2.1: Medical Entomology
- LAB 3.1: Fundamental Chemistry
- LAB 4.1: General Microbiology I
- GMB 106.3: General Microbiology II
- HAP 107.3: Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- MBC 108.3: Microbial Biochemistry
- MBI 109.3: Molecular Biology I
- IBE 110.3: Instrumentation and Biomedical Engineering
- LAB 5.1: General Microbiology II
- LAB 6.1: Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- LAB 7.1: Microbial Biochemistry
- LAB 8.1: Molecular Biology I
- LAB 9.1: Instrumentation and Biomedical Engineering
- HAP 201.3: Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- MBI 202.3: Molecular Biology II
- SBA 203.3: Systemic Bacteriology I
- EPI 204.3: Epidemiology
- BIM 205.3: Bio-Informatics
- LAB 10.1: Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- LAB 11.1: Molecular Biology II
- LAB 12.1: Systemic Bacteriology I
- LAB 13.1: Epidemiology
- LAB 14.1: Bio-Informatics
- SBA 206.3: Systemic Bacteriology II
- SVI 207.3: Systemic Virology
- SPA 208.3: Systemic Parasitology
- SMY 209.3: Systemic Mycology
- PHM 210.3: Public Health Microbiology I
- LAB 15.1: Systemic Bacteriology II
- LAB 16.1: Systemic Virology
- LAB 17.1: Systemic Parasitology
- LAB 18.1: Systemic Mycology
- LAB 19.1: Public Health Microbiology I
- PHM 301.3: Public Health Microbiology II
- PMB 302.3: Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- IMB 303.3: Industrial Microbiology
- MBI 304.3: Microbial Biotechnology
- IMM 305.3: Immunology
- LAB 20.1: Public Health Microbiology II
- LAB 21.1: Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- LAB 22.1: Industrial Microbiology
- LAB 23.1: Microbial Biotechnology
- LAB 24.1: Immunology
- DBA 306.3: Diagnostic Bacteriology I
- DVI 307.3: Diagnostic Virology
- DPA 308.3: Diagnostic Parasitology
- DMY 309.3: Diagnostic Mycology
- DIM 310.3: Diagnostic Immunology
- LAB 25.1: Diagnostic Bacteriology I
- LAB 26.1: Diagnostic Virology
- LAB 27.1: Diagnostic Parasitology
- LAB 28.1: Diagnostic Mycology
- LAB 29.1: Diagnostic Immunology
- SEM 1.1: Seminar
- DBA 401.3: Diagnostic Bacteriology II
- DMB 402.3: Diagnostic Microbiology
- RME 403.3: Research Methodology
- BDM 404.3: Bio-statistics and Data Management
- MML 405.3: Management of Microbiology Laboratory
- LAB 30.1: Diagnostic Bacteriology II
- LAB 31.1: Diagnostic Microbiology
- LAB 32.1: Research Methodology
- LAB 33.1: Bio-statistics and Data Management
- LAB 34.1: Management of Microbiology Laboratory
- SEM 2.1: Seminar I
- ITR 406.6: Hospital/Factory Internship
- DIS 407.6: Thesis/Dissertation
- SEM 3.1: Seminar
Scope and Career Prospects
Once you get the degree of B.Sc in Medical Microbiology, you are exposed to wide range of jobs. You can work at governmental agencies, private health care services, and pharmaceutical industries or in NGOs & INGOs. You can also pursue your further higher studies of Masters or related after the completion of this degree in the country or abroad. Some of the jobs you opt to work are as follows:
Biomedical scientist to do scientific researches to diagnose & treat diseases & evaluate the effectiveness of treatments.
Clinical research associate to test new drugs for their effectiveness, risks and benefits.
Food technologist to make sure that the food products available on the market are produced safely, legally and are of the quality claimed.
Microbiologist to study microorganisms to understand their effect on our lives and how we can make use of them.
Pharmacologist to conduct research to discover new drug and development
Physician associate to diagnose, analyze & test results in hospitals or related
Scientific laboratory technician to conduct laboratory based investigations in biological, chemical, physical and life science areas.
Technical brewer to ensure the quality and consistency of the product manufactured in the industries.