Bachelor of Public Health | Pokhara University
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is a four year course program of Pokhara University (PoU), under the management of School of Health and Allied Sciences. It is a specialization oriented bachelor degree course which is based in semester system and has altogether 8 semesters. This course is particularly designed to produce certified specialist to provide services to the people all over the country.
BPH is basically the mixture of subjects like Physiology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Anthropology This degree provides students with strong theoretical knowledge and practical skills in this sector, and prepares them to pursue their careers in different sectors such as public sector, environmental sector, nutritionist and epidemiology. This program mainly focuses to promote the health of public preventing them from the diseases by disease control strategies.
List of Bachelor of Public Health Colleges
Below is the list of colleges for Bachelor of Public Health program under Pokhara University in Nepal.
- CIST College
| 01-4485307, 01-4473934, 01-4473570, Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- La grandee international college
| 061-523163, Pokhara
- National Open College
| 01-5520326, 9851044710, Sanepa, Lalitpur
- Nobel College
| 01-4110525, 01-4110590, Baneshwor, Kathmandu
Objectives of Bachelor of Public Health
To provide student with theoretical, practical knowledge and understanding to work from community level to the central level care programs.
To prepare the students for higher level of study in and outside the country.
To prepare the graduates who can increase social awareness and perform various duties, depending on their specialty.
To prepare the graduates who work for public to prevent them from serious diseases and risks, preventing them from recurring.
To train and develop the skills among the students through the community and field practices.
Admission Requirements in Bachelor of Public Health
Eligibility for Admission:
The candidates willing to join BPH must follow certain criteria:
Students must have to complete their 10+2 (Higher Secondary Education Board) or I.SC from Physical or Biological group in Science with a minimum of 50% in aggregate or at least grade C in three subjects in the Advance Level from any Board/University recognized by PoU.
Students should follow all the application procedure that should be done before sitting for entrance examination otherwise candidate can’t sit in the examination.
The application form can be directly given to the public from the reception of the affiliated College/Campus or it is available to download for the public from the affiliated College/Campus websites for the admission process.
The filled in application form, along with the photocopy of the mark sheets and stated cash amount or payable deposit slip in name or account of the affiliated College should be submitted before the due date.
The applicants must appear in the entrance exam conducted by the affiliated college and pass the exam compulsory.
The merit list of the applicants is published after the entrance examination.
Commencement of Course:
Each year on September
Note: Students who have passed their board exams of grad-11 and waiting for the result of grade 12 can also fill the application form and appear in the entrance examination. Applicants must have to submit their mark sheet of +2 exams before the result of the entrance examination publishes.
- PHS 111: Introduction to Public Health - I
- BHS 111: Anatomy and Physiology
- BHS 112: Biochemistry
- BHS 113: Microbiology and Immunology
- PHA 121: Professional English
- PHA 111: Anatomy and Physiology Lab
- PHA 112: Biochemistry Lab
- PHA 113: Microbiology and Immunology Lab
- PHA 114: Professional English Practice
- BHS I51: Environmental Science
- BHS 152: First Aid
- BHS 153: Nutritional Science
- BHS 154: Parasitology and Entomology
- BHS 155: Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology
- PHA 151: Environmental Science Lab
- PHA 112: Biochemistry Lab PHA 152 First Aid Lab
- PHA 153: Nutritional Science Lab
- PHA 154: Parasitology and Entomology Lab
- PHA 155: Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology Lab
- PHS 211: Communicable Diseases
- PHS 212: Environmental Health
- PHS 213: Non-Communicable Diseases
- PHS 214: Public Health Nutrition
- PHS 215: Reproductive Health and Demography
- PHA 211: Integrated Concurrent Field Practices I
- PHT 251: Basic Epidemiology
- PHS 251: Introduction to Public Health II
- PHS 252: Maternal, Child and Elderly Health
- PHS 253: Occupational Health and Safety
- PHT 252: Public Health Behavior and Anthropology
- PHA 251: Integrated Concurrent Field Practice II
- PHM 311: Basic Public Health Management
- PHT 311: Epidemiological Methods & Management
- PHI 311: Health Promotion and Education
- PHT 312: Public Health Sociology & Social Psychology
- PHT 313: Public Health Statistics I
- PHA 311: Integrated Concurrent Field Practices III
- PHI 351: Community Health Diagnosis and Program Implementation Strategies
- PHI 352: Health Education Communication
- PHI 351: Health Research Methodology & Software Application
- PHM 351: Health System Management in Nepal-I
- PHT 352: Public Health Statistics-II
- PHM 411: Human Resource for Health Development
- PHM 412: Health Finance & Health Economics Include Entrepreneurship
- PHM 413: Health Monitoring and Evaluation
- PHM 413: Health Monitoring and Evaluation
- PHM 414: Health System Management in Nepal II
- PHA 411: Residential Field Practice (Comprehensive District Health Management)
- PHM 451: Disaster Management
- PHI 451: Public Health Law and Acts
- PHA 451: Journal Club/ Health Seminar
- PHT 451: Public Health Dissertation
Scope and Career Prospects
Once you obtain the degree of this course from PoU, you are exposed to wide range of jobs. You can work at governmental or nongovernmental job, private or public sector. You can also pursue your further higher studies after the completion of BPH in your home country or you can travel to abroad. Some of the jobs you can choose to work are as follows:
In local government or NGO/INGO.
Educator to teach people about care and safety.
Epidemiologist in Universities & Laboratories.
Infection Control Officer.
Project Manager to oversee services and facilities.