B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry | Pokhara University
Medical Biochemistry focuses on working pattern of cells at the molecular & sub-molecular levels. Moreover, it is considered as the basis of modern medicine. This course provides students with new ideas and products that can be helpful to face the ever-changing health challenges.
Bachelors of Science in Medical Biochemistry offered by Pokhara University (P.U), is a four year course. This degree is based on semester system and has been divided into altogether eight semesters in total. This program gives students a solid foundation in modern biochemistry, covering a wide range of subjects with specific stress on the topic related to medicine and health issues. To successfully graduate from this program, students need to complete 144 credit hours of full-time study. In the fourth year, students should complete a research project. They are provided with an internship opportunity as well. Fundamentals of Bio-Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Professional English, Clinical Biochemistry, Bio-Physics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Bioenergetics, Enzymology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology and Nutritional Biochemistry are some of the courses this program covers.
List of B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry Colleges
Below is the list of colleges for B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry program under Pokhara University in Nepal.
Objectives of B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry
The main aim of this program is to produce technically skilled manpower in the field of medical sector. Some of the major objectives of this program are listed below:
To provide students with understanding of the basic concepts and new developments in Molecular Biology.
To train graduates to work in fields like pharmaceutical industry, medical laboratories and in cancer research as well.
To prepare students for further education in this field.
Admission Requirements in B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry
Students willing to pursue their bachelor level degree in this field must have to fulfill the following criteria.
Candidates must have to complete +2 levels or any level equivalent to it with at least second division.
Candidates must have to obtain minimum of fifty percent of marks in major subjects like Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Attested copies of mark sheets and character certificate of SLC and 10+2 or PCL equivalent.
Duly filled and signed application form.
- ENG 101.3: Professional English
- PCH 102.3: Physical Chemistry I
- OCH 103.3: Organic Chemistry I
- ICH 104.3: Inorganic Chemistry
- FBC 105.3: Fundamentals of Bio-Chemistry
- LAB 1.1: Physical Chemistry I
- LAB 2.1: Organic Chemistry I
- LAB 3.1: Inorganic Chemistry
- LAB 4.1: Fundamentals of Biochemistry
- PCH 106.3: Physical Chemistry II
- OCH 107.3: Organic Chemistry II
- HAP 108.3: Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BPS 109.3: Bio-Physics
- CBC 110.3: Clinical Biochemistry I (Instrumentation)
- LAB 5.1: Physical Chemistry II
- LAB 6.1: Organic Chemistry II
- LAB 7.1: Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- LAB 8.1: Clinical Biochemistry I (Instrumentation)
- BMO 201.3: Bio-Molecules I
- MET 202.3: Metabolism I
- HAP 203.3: Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- PTO 204.3: Pharmacology and Toxicology
- MBG 205.3: Microbiology I: General
- LAB 9.1: Bio-Molecules I
- LAB 10.1: Metabolism I
- LAB 11.1: Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- LAB 12.1: Pharmacology and Toxicology
- LAB 13.1: Microbiology I: General
- BMO 206.3: Bio-Molecules II
- MET 207.3: Metabolism II
- ENZ 208.3: Enzymology
- BMO 209.3: Bioenergetics
- MBP 210.3: Microbiology II: Parasitology
- LAB 14.1: Bio-Molecules II
- LAB 15.1: Metabolism II
- LAB 16.1: Enzymology
- LAB 17.1: Microbiology II: Parasitology
- MBI 301.3: Molecular Biology
- BTE 302.3: Biotechnology
- NBC 303.3: Nutritional Biochemistry
- CBC 304.3: Clinical Biochemistry II
- MBB 305.3: Microbiology III: Bacteriology
- LAB 18.1: Molecular Biology
- LAB 19.1: Biotechnology
- LAB 20.1: Nutritional Biochemistry
- LAB 21.1: Clinical Biochemistry II
- LAB 22.1: Microbiology III: Bacteriology
- CBC 306.3: Clinical Biochemistry III
- EPI 307.3: Epidemiology
- CBC 308.3: Clinical Biochemistry IV (Analytical)
- RME 309.3: Research Methodology
- MBI 310.3: Microbiology IV: Immunology
- LAB 23.1: Epidemiology
- LAB 24.1: Clinical Biochemistry IV (Analytical)
- LAB 25.1: Microbiology IV: Immunology
- CBC 401.3: Clinical Biochemistry V (Diagnostic)
- BDM 402.3: Biostatistics and Data Management
- BIN 403.3: Bio-Informatics
- CBC 404.3: Clinical Biochemistry VI (Management of Lab)
- LAB 26.1: Biostatistics and Data Management
- LAB 27.1: Bio-Informatics
- LAB 28.1: Clinical Biochemistry VI (Management of Lab)
- SEM 405.1: Seminar I
- DIS 406.6: Thesis
- INT 407.6: Hospital Internship
- SEM 408.1: Seminar II
Scope and Career Prospects
Students after graduating from this degree can work with both public and private sectors. Companies like biotechnology, food and drinks companies, research companies and laboratories, chemical manufacturing companies, health and beauty care are always in need of graduates with this degree.
This valued degree opens up an array of career options that integrates aspects of both medicine and biology. Graduates have the option to initiate their career as:
Scientific Laboratory Technician
Clinical Research Associate