Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering | Purbanchal University
Bachelor of Geomatic Engineering is a four year, 8 semester program of Purbanchal University. This course is taught under the Faculty of Science and Technology. Geomatics engineering can also be called as Geospatial Engineering. Geomatics engineering is very rapidly growing field carrying huge potential in it. This engineering is primarily concerned with spatial information which basically denotes information that has a location. The location is the prime feature that is used to combine varieties of data necessary for information and visualization. In Geomatic engineering, the students will get ideas, knowledge, and techniques for analysis of spatial information. They can investigate and gather spatial information of earth, water, nature, natural resources, manmade features, etc. Students learn to do all these complex work of designing, developing and operating systems that are crucial for Geomatics engineering. In order to do so, they use advanced equipment like digital theodolite, GPS, GIS etc. These kind of modern equipment has revolutionized the surveying work and has helped to garner important information regarding various components of our surroundings.
List of Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering Colleges
Below is the list of colleges for Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering program under Purbanchal University in Nepal.
Objectives of Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering
The main objectives of Bachelor of Geomatic Engineering course are as follows:
To provide the knowledge regarding the fundamental principles of Geomatics engineering and produce efficient Geomatician having ample ideas in this field.
To produce students having skills and techniques to use advance technologies and equipment like photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographical information systems (GIS), GPS, etc.
To develop students having capacity to work individually as well as work in the team and use his/her creativeness to think out of the box to solve the problems of the field.
To develop passion in students for higher education and continuous professional development without compromising the ethical and moral responsibility.
Admission Requirements in Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering
He/ She should have passed Intermediate in Science (I. SC.) or 10+2 in science or A-Level or Diploma in Geomatics Engineering or equivalent level from Purbanchal University or Board/ Institution/ University recognized by PU with minimum 45% marks in aggregate.
He/ She should appear and successfully pass in the entrance test conducted by Purbanchal University to get qualified for the admission.
Total Marks: 100, Total Time: 2 hours,
Question pattern: Objective multiple choice questions.
Subjects - Physics: 25 marks, Chemistry: 25 marks, Math: 25 Marks, English: 25 marks.
Merit list is published by adding 50% marks of entrance and 50% of Intermediate level.
Some of the institutes inside the valley helping students to prepare for the entrance exam of engineering are as follows:
PEA Association Pvt. Ltd., Thapathali
Training Nepal, Putalisadak
NAEE Education Centre, Patan Dhoka
KEI Foundation, Kupondole
Kanchanjanga Education Institute (KEI), Kupondole
Below is the detailed P.U (Purb) Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering Syllabus.
- Fundamental of Surveying
- Introduction of GIS
- Communicative English
- Mathematics 1
- MAP Drafting and Design
- Computer Concept and Programming
- Fieldwork 1 (Plane Surveying)
- Plane Surveying
- Computer Drafting and Design
- Mathematics 2
- Geodesy 1 – Geodetic Control
- Land Administration
- Topographical Surveying 1
- Communicative Nepali
- Field Astronomy
- Fundamental of Thermodynamics & Heat
- Cadastral Surveying 1
- Land Law
- Mathematics 3
- Photogrammetry 1
- Cartography 1 – Map Projections
- Fieldwork 2 – Geodetic Surveying
- Geodesy 2 – Gravity and GNSS
- Remote Sensing
- Cadastral Surveying 2 – digital Cadastre
- Land Registration
- Photogrammetry 2
- Cartography 2
- Computer Programming
- Mathematics 5 (Probability & Statistics)
- Topographical Surveying of other surfaces
- Geodesy 3 – Satellite Geodesy
- Digital Photogrammetry 1 – Theoretical
- Digital Image Processing
- Digital Cartography 1 – Theoretical
- Map Reproduction Technology
- Mathematics 4 – Numerical Method
- Fieldwork 3 (Topo. and Cadastral Surveying)
- Environmental Survey and Mapping
- Geodesy 4 – Physical Geodesy
- Geomatic Computation 1 – Survey Adjustment
- Digital Photogrammetry 2 – Observational
- Socio – Economic Survey
- Digital Cartography 2 – Digital and Web Mapping
- Research Methodology
- Geologic Survey
- Project Management
- Engineering Survey
- Land Valuating 1 – Introduction
- Geographical Information System 1 (GIS)
- Land Reform and Management
- Geomatic Computation 2 – Survey software
- Project Fieldwork
- Elective Subject - Geographical Data Infrastructures & Web Mapping
- Elective Subject - Gravity, GNSS and Inertial Positioning
- Elective Subject - Quantity Surveying
- Elective Subject - Land Information System
- Elective Subject - Urban and Regional Planning
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- Land Resource Mapping
- Engineering Survey 2 – Project Survey
- Land Valuation 2
- GIS 2 – Dev. and Implementation of GIS
- Land/Earth Observation System
- Project/Thesis work
Scope and Career Prospects
Geomatics Engineering is highly rewarding engineering field where graduates can get jobs relatively faster than in other field. Graduates can get positions in different multinational companies, factories, industries, etc. where they will get works like placing oil rigs, monitoring pipelines across ocean, mapping and surveying etc. The Geomatic Engineering graduates who have good command in remote sensing can get job in cultural and national heritage sites, minerals industries, oil industries, environment related organizations, etc. This engineering is the mixture of fun and work because you get to travel to different place while working, which makes the job interesting. The graduates can also work at the organizations where technician with GIS knowledge is required.
Some of the fields where Geomatic Engineers can work are: Government organizations, NGO/ INGOs, Hydro power companies, Consultancy and firms, Research Institutes, Environmental organization, Organizations working in transport management and natural resources management etc. Many private and public institutions in Nepal easily provide employment for Engineers in Geomatic Engineering. Some of them are listed below:
Governmental ministries and departments like roads, water, civil, aviation, etc.
Nepal Police and Army
Nepal Electricity Authority
Private Hydropower Companies
Building companies and checking companies
National and International NGO.