Bachelor of Social Work | Purbanchal University
Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) is introduced to produce trained and skilled professionals in the field of social work. This degree provides students with knowledge that help to make a positive impact in the society, sense of purpose and an array of career options. This program covers a large range of theoretical concepts and practical skills. The curriculum of this program prepares graduates to use a common helping process on various levels, ranging from individuals to communities.
BSW offered by the Purbanchal University (PU) is a three years long academic degree, which consists of six semesters and 90 credit hours. Apart from classroom training, students are provided with field practicum, rural & urban camps, and neighborhood camp. The syllabus covers various issues on human right, gender, child right and juvenile justice etc. In order to complete this program successfully, students must have to undertake subjects like Social work field practicum and skills lab, Academic English, Human Growth and Behavior, Social Case Work and Group Work, Sociology, History and Philosophy, Introduction to Nepali Society, Psychiatric, Neighborhood camp, Community Organization, and Social Action.
List of Bachelor of Social Work Colleges
Below is the list of colleges for Bachelor of Social Work program under Purbanchal University in Nepal.
Objectives of Bachelor of Social Work
The key objectives of this degree are:
To provide students with theoretical knowledge required for understanding client's behavior.
To make students understand their ethical and professional responsibilities.
To enhance students' critical thinking and communication skills.
To enable students to function efficiently within diverse organization and agency.
To enable students to take leadership roles when required.
To produce proficient professionals.
The continuous change in the environment directly influences our daily life including kids, families and people of all socioeconomic background, resulting in the rise of demand for skilled professionals. Moreover, it has been predicted that the demand of social worker will rise in the coming days. BSW degree holder can find employment opportunities in family, child and health services, youth, child protection & justice, disability services, mental health, community organizations and prohibition services. Upon completion of BSW program, an individual can pursue master- level education & research. In addition to this, graduates can find work in:
Research institutions and consultancies
Media sectors, news agencies, radios and TV
Bank commercial institutions corporate sectors
Government organization, INGO/NGO
Admission Requirements in Bachelor of Social Work
Students willing to pursue this degree must have to complete +2 in any stream from the college/ board/ university/ recognized by Purbanchal University (PU)
Students must have to submit a copy of their academic certificates and accurately filled application form while applying for the admission
Bachelor of Social Work Syllabus
- HPS 112: History and Philosophy of social work
- SSW 113: Sociology for social work
- SCG 113: Social Case Work and Group work-1
- HGB 113: Human Growth and Behavior
- ACE 112: Academic English
- SWP 112: Social work field practicum and skills lab
- INS 123: Introduction to Nepali Society
- SCG 123: Social Case work and Group work-II
- PSW 123: Psychiatric Social Work
- ACE 122: Academic English
- NHC 121: Neighborhood camp
- SWP 123: Social work field practicum and skill lab
- COM 233: Community Organisation
- SWA 233: Social Policy and welfare Administration
- SOA 233: Social Action
- CHR 232: Child right
- NEP 233: Nepali
- SWP 233 : Social work field practicum and skill lab
- SWR 243: Social Work Research
- RUD 243: Rural And Urban Community Development
- FSW 242: Family and Social Work
- DEC 242: Development communication
- RUC 242: Rural Camp
- SWP 243: Social work field practicum and skill lab
- SOD 352: Social Development
- MVO 352: Management of Voluntary Organisation
- LSW 352: Law and Social Work
- IGS 352: Introduction to Gender Studies
- UCS 352: Urban Camp/Study tour
- SWP 353: Social work field practicum and skill lab
- SWI 362: Social work in Industry
- JJS 362: Juvenile Justice
- RDS 366: Research Dissertation & Seminar
- BFW 363: Block Field Work
- SWP 362: Social work field practicum and skill lab
Scope and Career Prospects
An individual with this degree can work as:
Primary care graduate mental health worker
High intensity therapist
Family support worker
Community development worker