M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology | Tribhuvan University

Master of Science in Hydrology and Meteorology is a two year program of Tribhuvan University (TU). In the first and second semester, there are compulsory subjects where all the students need to study same course content. However, in third semester, out of five elective subjects, students must have to choose any one of them. The five elective subjects are Environmental aspect of Hydro-meteorology, Agricultural Meteorology, Monsoon Meteorology, Water Resources, and Mountain Hydro-Meteorology. Fourth semester is based more on research where students get opportunity to integrate the theoretical course with real life experience.

Hydrology is the science which deals with the study of earth water and its movement in relation to land where as meteorology is the study of atmosphere. The study of hydrology and meteorology has great importance to the country like Nepal. The knowledge of Meteorological and Hydrological processes is of very essential for agriculture and water resources management. In agriculture, weather forecasting is very crucial for having good production.

List of M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology Colleges

Below is the list of colleges for M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology program under Tribhuvan University in Nepal.

Objectives of M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology

Some of the major objectives of this degree are as follows:

  • Graduates will be able to apply relevant concepts of hydrology and meteorology in practical way.
  • Graduates will be able to understand the application including techniques necessary for data collection, processing and analysis.
  • Graduates will be able to evaluate and analyze hydrological and meteorological systems and processes at sufficient space and time framework and develop and conduct research or experiments with or without team.
  • The students will be able to work in ethical and professional framework by understanding the inter linkage of hydrology and meteorology with other subjects.

Admission Requirements in M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology

Admission criteria:

  • Students interested in pursuing this degree must have to pass B.Sc. or equivalent level of degree from Board/ college or university recognized by Tribhuvan University.
  • Students must have to fulfill all the criteria as prescribed in the entrance exam notice of Tribhuvan University.

Entrance exam for Admission:

  • Entrance exam is conducted by Central Department of Hydrology and Meteorology, Tribhuvan University.
  • Students must have to attend the entrance exam and pass at least with given minimum marks.
  • The result is based on the merit list. The merit list is prepared by adding 80% marks of entrance exam and 20% marks of B. Sc.
  • The 80% seats are categorized as open and the remaining 20% seats are reserved for inclusive category.

M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology Syllabus


First Semester

Second Semester

Third Semester

Fourth Semester

Fifth Semester

Sixth Semester

Seventh Semester

Eighth Semester

Scope and Career Prospects

Nepal is very prone to flood and landslides whereas in the major cities there is extreme shortage of water because those major cities lack the basic water management system. This point itself signifies how important this subject is in the context of Nepal. The work for the graduates includes monitoring of river hydrology, climate, agro meteorology, sediment, air quality, water quality, limnology, snow hydrology, glaciology, wind energy and solar energy. The graduates can also work in the field of aviation and weather forecast. The graduates can also get jobs in various NGO/ INGO working in the field of hydrology and meteorology. One can also work as research specialist, research associates in the concerned field.

The graduates can find job in educational sectors as well such as college and university teacher. Every day we hear the weather forecasting, this weather forecasting is very important for travelers, trekkers and general people. Not only this, weather forecasting has huge role in agriculture and industry. Thousands of lives can be saved if prediction related to typhoons, tsunami can be made accurately. The graduates in this field have wide range of job opportunities in international market as well. Graduates can also go to foreign country for further study and earn attractive salary after finishing the study.

Get in Touch
Ongoing Admissions
Herald College Kathmandu
Islington College
Shubhashree Academic International College
Triton International College
Thames International College
World Link Communications