Pokhara University (PoU) was established in 1997 under Pokhara University Act, 1997. The central office of the university is situated in Western Development Region 13km east from the Pokhara city. Same as the Purbhanchal University, Pokhara University was formed as a part of the government’s policy for better higher education. The Respected Prime Minister and Minister of Education are the Chancellor and the Pro-Chancellor respectively. The vice-chancellor and principal executive officer of the university are appointed by chancellor of Pokhara University. Similarly the registrar is appointed to assist them in financial management and general administration. Pokhara University runs under government’s funds and affiliated collages turn over income. Pokhara University is non-profit institution.
Under Pokhara University the Bachelor’s degrees program are four years extended in eight semester and Master Degrees are of two years containing four semesters. The student who likes to study M.Phil degree, it is one and half year program containing three semesters.
Faculties Provided by Pokhara University are:
- Faculty of Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Pokhara University Heads:
- Chancellor: Prime Minister of Nepal (Mr. Sushil Koirala)
- Pro-chancellor: Minister of education(Ms. Chitralekha Yadav)
- Vice-Chancellor: Prof. Khagendra Prasad Bhattarai
- Registrar: Prof.Dr. Man Bahadur K.C.
- Executive Directors
Almost more than 25,000 students altogether in 45 programs are associated under different disciplines.
- To promote quality higher education in competitive environment.
- To increase social-economic promotion/transformation by different community services.
- To create disciplined, practical-oriented academic learning environment focusing on higher education.
- To produce qualified human resources in various disciplines such as in science and technology, law and education, humanities and managements in order to generate various development program with excellent professionals for nation building.
Vision/Mission of Pokhara University:
Quality education should be necessary to bring some changes in nation human resources, so that university’s students embrace critical thinking ability, generating positive response/attitude towards their assignments, and enhancing possibilities through competitiveness. As a vision the university wants to be a leader in promoting higher education through qualitative education, health and community development/services. Developing the institution into a center of excellence in higher education by enhancing well fledge teaching, learning and research activities through different innovation in order to produce job market-driven, responsible, productive and generating committed human resources. Vision/Mission can be divided in long term and short term goals by pursuing excellence and quality in all aspects of University’s activities and services in managerial and economical challenges for future developments.
Pokhara University initiates various academic activities as guided by the government’s act since 1996. The major function or aim is to produce skilled and professional human resources necessary for the nation building development workouts by providing quality education. In order to fulfill these requirements the university has developed its four constituent schools for bachelors and master’s degrees. The university also undertakes its program in private participation collaborating with 49 academic institutions under PoU affiliation for bachelor, master, m.phil, and ph.d. Degrees.
The university has different scholarship program under various reserved sits for dalit, Indigenous, Remote areas, disable, Martyrs etc and for women 50% has been reserved in both open and reserved category ( it may varies according to the scholarship policy of university at any time). In order to achieve scholarship program their student must be eligible for applying scholarship program.