The history of geography as an academic field of the study at the college level in Nepal started with the establishment of the Department of Geography in Tri-Chandra College in 1947. Three years after its commencement of Intermediate Level, this Geography Department of Tri-Chandra College offered Bachelor Level course in 1950. Since then, Geography as a field of study became very popular in Nepal and has grown into a thriving area for graduate-level teaching and learning. With the growing popularity, research activities in the field of Geography also increased over a period of time.
The Department of Geography at Tri-Chandra Campus possesses highly qualified, competent and experienced faculty members. It has one Professor, three Associate Professor, and one Lecturer. Of the five faculty members, two of them already have had Ph. D. Degree. Some of the faculty members of the Department of Geography, Tri- Chandra College had completed post-doctoral programs too. The faculties of the Department of Geography have an international exposure and have been participating in different national and international seminars and conferences as Resource Persons too. In this way, the Department has a very good faculty strength.
The Department of Geography of Tri-Chandra College is not only centrally located but is also equipped with a very good physical infrastructure like spacious classrooms, highly equipped laboratory and departmental library. Recently, the department has introduced Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System (RS/GIS) course for the third-year Bachelor or undergraduate level students.
Students willing to pursue higher education in Geography can apply for admission into the 3-year Bachelor Level Program in Geography. Similarly, the Department of Geography also conducts field studies on regular basis to provide practical knowledge and experience to the students on various aspects of Geography inside and outside the country.
Key Attractions of the Department
• GIS and Remote Sensing
• Experiences and Qualified Faculty Members
• Field Work/Field Study
• Research Methodology and Report Writing
• Counseling service
• Department’s own Library
• Computer Laboratory
10 Reasons to Study Geography
1. To understand basic physical systems that affect everyday life (e.g. earth-sun relationships, water cycles, wind and ocean currents).
2. To learn the location of places and the physical and cultural characteristics of those places in order to function more effectively in our increasingly interdependent world.
3. To understand the geography of past times and how geography has played important roles in the evolution of people, their ideas, places, and environments.
4. To develop a mental map of your community, province or territory, country and the world so that you can understand the “where” of places and events.
5. To explain how the processes of human and physical systems have arranged and sometimes changed the surface of the Earth.
6. To understand the spatial organization of society and see order in what often appears to be random scattering of people and places.
7. To recognize spatial distributions at all scales — local and worldwide — in order to understand the complex connectivity of people and places.
8. To be able to make sensible judgments about matters involving relationships between the physical environment and society.
9. To appreciate Earth as the homeland of humankind and provide insight for wise management decisions about how the planet’s resources should be used.
10. To understand global interdependence and to become a better global citizen.
Source: Canadian Council for Geographic Education http://www.cangeoeducation.ca/resources/why_geography/
Message from the Head, Geography Department, Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus
I am pleased to invite you to study with us at the department of Geography, Tri-Chandra Campus and to learn from us and allow us to learn from you. We provide an interdisciplinary approach in teaching and learning activities. All the students willing to pursue higher education with a graduation of Proficiency Certificate or an equivalent level examination in any faculty or subject recognized by Tribhuvan University can apply for admission in the 3-year Bachelor course in Geography. If you have enthusiasm, broader vision and ready to give your endeavor to study Geography, you are the one whom we are looking for. We are well known for our friendliness. At this department, we place great emphasis on the quality of our learning and teaching activities with a student-centered approach. I invite you to consider the study options offered by TU and to take advantage of the opportunity to become part of Nepal’s most pioneer institution in higher education and leading department.
Dr. Kedar Dahal